Our staff at Sunset Blvd. Investigations, Inc. (SBI) would like to pass along some tips that we hope will keep you from becoming a victim. A new year, means new schemes, and scams from identity thieves. Here are some quick and simple tips that may help you to avoid becoming their next target:
- Don't overshare on social media. Leaving home for a trip or vacation? Don't post this information publicly and be aware of your social media privacy settings.
- Package theft is on the rise these days. Bring your packages inside as soon as possible. Packages left outside might also make you a target when you're out of town.
- Collect your mail promptly. Contact the USPS to place a hold on your mail when you are away from home for several days. https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/
- Always shred receipts, account statements, credit offers, and expired credit cards, to prevent "dumpster divers" from retrieving your personal information.
- Update your antivirus software. Make sure that your computer security software installs updates regularly and make sure your operating system is also up to date.
- Always change your passwords if an individual or company that you do business with has a breach of its databases and create complex passwords that identity thieves cannot easily guess. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2015/07/advanced-password-tips-and-tricks
- Review your credit report once a year to make certain that it doesn't include accounts that you have not opened: Contact one of these three major credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit records: Equifax: 1-888-766-0008, Experian: 1-888-397-3742, and TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
- Never reply to, or click on any links in suspicious emails, texts, and social media messages.
For additional information, please refer to the below sites:
Please note, that investigators from Sunset Blvd. Investigations are always there for you! We're just one click, email, or phone call away! Phone: (888) 639-4761 | Local: (213) 745-4080.