Tips in Preventing Identity Theft
Our staff at Sunset Blvd. Investigations, Inc. (SBI) would like to pass along some tips that we hope will keep you from becoming a victim. A new year, means new schemes, and scams from identity thieves. Here are some quick and simple tips that may help you to avoid becoming their next target:
- Don’t overshare on social media. Leaving home for a trip or vacation? Don’t post this information publicly and be aware of your social media privacy settings.
- Package theft is on the rise these days. Bring your packages inside as soon as possible. Packages left outside might also make you a target when you’re out of town.
- Collect your mail promptly. Contact the USPS to place a hold on your mail when you are away from home for several days. https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/
- Always shred receipts, account statements, credit offers, and expired credit cards, to prevent “dumpster divers” from retrieving your personal information.
- Update your antivirus software. Make sure that your computer security software installs updates regularly and make sure your operating system is also up to date.
- Always change your passwords if an individual or company that you do business with has a breach of its databases and create complex passwords that identity thieves cannot easily guess. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2015/07/advanced-password-tips-and-tricks
- Review your credit report once a year to make certain that it doesn’t include accounts that you have not opened: Contact one of these three major credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit records: Equifax: 1-888-766-0008, Experian: 1-888-397-3742, and TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
- Never reply to, or click on any links in suspicious emails, texts, and social media messages.
For additional information, please refer to the below sites:
Need a private investigator?
Sunset Blvd. Investigations, Inc. provides seasoned and effective private investigation services for clients throughout the United States and Internationally. Our combined 80 years as law enforcement officers coupled with our private investigative experience distinguishes us from all other investigation businesses. If you’re in need of a private investigator, we’re here to assist you in any way we can.